Monday, November 29, 2010

from YouTube

1 comment:

  1. Patois is so cool! It's in that murky area between a dialect and a creole, I think. Maybe more along the dialect line, but still. I wonder if the subtitles they give are the proper spelling for written Patois (is there such a thing?) or just done phonetically?

    It's going to be so exciting in like 200 years when spoken English has continued to evolve into dialects and incorporated more of what we consider slang, but thanks to the permanence effects of the media and the print industry, written English will remain the same. We'll be in the same boat as Arabic or Chinese, where the modern standardized written form of the English language is understood by anyone who is literate, but the spoken language in different parts of the world will have evolved into near mutual unintelligibility. I know that thought scares a lot of people, but I think it's really freaking cool.

    ReplyDelete